New Roller Lash!

Benefit Cosmetics LLC

12 December 2008

My Year in Literature

January:
Fluke - Christopher Moore. This book is mildly entertaining, and it is definitely good for a tired brain. Otherwise, I really was not impressed with the book, and I probably would not recommend it to others. 

Short stories:
A Good Man is Hard to Find - Flannery O'Connor. Anything this woman wrote is creepy and amazing. 
The Yellow Wallpaper - Charlotte Perkins Gilman. It's interesting. 
Everyday Use - I love Alice Walker for writing this story.
A Worn Path - ? not looking it up. I didn't like it. 
A Rose for Emily- Faulkner. Faulkner pwns. 
Bitterness for Three Sleepwalkers - Marquez. Marquez also pwns.
Hills like White Elephants - Hemingway. Speaking of pwnage. This story is amazing. 

February:
Short stories:
Shopping - Joyce Carol Oates. This story blew my mind for like a week straight. It's fun to analyze, and it is, PER SE (OMG I GOT TO USE IT), a nice analytical piece. Yay.

Poems:
Chemistry Experiment - ? Eh.
The Voice You Hear When You Read Silently - ? Love.
Next, Please - ? Likeable. 
Revolutionary Petunias - Alice Walker. No. 

March:
Pastoralia - George Saunders. George Saunders is amazing. Anything he's written is worth reading. Promise.
As I Lay Dying - Faulkner. Again with the pwnage.
The Fuck Up - Arthur Nersesian. No. He fucked up. 

April, May: ?! NO IDEA

June:
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon. This is definitely on my top 5 list. It's a pretty exclusive list. Michael Chabon pwnd with this book. 
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera. It starts well, but in the end it falls short. Way overrated. 

July: 
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathan Lethem. I couldn't put this book down. I didn't put this book down until I finished it. It was that fucking good. 
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - Dave Eggers. Dave Eggers is funny. This book is more a waste of your time than anything else, but it somehow makes you feel like you did something. 

August:
The Wind Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami. Love love love love love. It's confusing and fascinating, and the best book to analyze if you're a nerd like I am. 

September:
The Odyssey - Oh, you know. 
The Journals of Sylvia Plath - Do I have to tell you? Edited by Ted Hughes, cheating bastard. I love her. This book scares me. 

October:
Medea - Euripedes. Nice. 
Lysistrata (sort of) - Aristophanes. Eh. 
The Fountainhead (not finished)- Ayn Rand. Amazing omg!
Oedipus - Sophocles. I like this play. 
The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things - J.T. Leroy (c'est un nom de plume, people) Not worth reading. Pointless. Boring. Predictable above all things, and just NOT GOOD. 

November:
Aeneid
The Apology of Socrates - Plato
Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer. This book --- ugh. Why write it? WHY?! I hate people.

December:
Hard Boiled Wonderland, and the End of the World - Haruki Murakami. Not finished, and thus far it is amazing. 




I have no internet at home. It's a bit depressing. I am feeling rather tired and ill, so I decided to wait to drive home to avoid exacerbating my headache and such. It would be a terrible tragedy to be in pain all day. 

I got a new dog today. He seems nice. He likes Molly. Molly likes him. 

My kitties do not like the new dog. It's sad. 

Oh, my head.

No comments: